About to Update my GPS/FF to the HDS-10

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Re: About to Update my GPS/FF to the HDS-10

Postby rick rysemus » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:09 am

If Tobeck wants to help by Paying I'm okay with that. This chit anit cheap... Between this and paying the Boat off in another four months my bank account is a little light...Anyways another question.

While ordering the stuff I was told that the NEP-1 is discontinued and NEP-2 is not yet out...

But I could use the Structure Scan to Network the Radar and HDS together. Tom can you comfirm this? I could always add NEP-2 at a later date.

Also my diagram is slightly different here's my changes (but yours did help me visualize the entire set up, thanks)

Sirius Weather might be added later but as of right now it's not an option (this is when I'll need the NEP-2)

RC 42 Compass will be added when I add AutoPilot.... maybe this winter...
I assume that when the Compass is added for the AP it can also be used to Overlay the Radar on the GPS map?

Thanks again guys for your help, Rick
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Hey Rick!
You've been doing your homework which is great as the info will surely help you out when you undertake the actual installation.

As to using the Structure Scan for an Ethernet junction for your radar? You're absolutely right! The Structure Scan box is really an NEP-1 (which stands for Network Expansion Port) that also includes the Structure Scan driving hardware which attaches directly to the Structure Scan transducer. The NEP-2 is a second generation unit that adds interferance rejection to the equation which will provide a cleaner Ethernet aboard your boat.

The RC-42 is a fluxgate compass that provides boat heading information to the NEMA 2000 network. This heading input will allow your radar to overlay on top of the chartplotter display which is a powerful navigation combination that allow you to save screen space.

To answer your final question about auto pilot compass heading inputs, if your autopilot is a NEMA 2000 compatable unit then there's a good chance that your AP will accept the RC-42's data stream. The only auto pilot I have on my boat is the Nautamatic TR-1 Gold system for the kicker or auxiliary motor and the TR-1's fluxgate compass ball is an older style NEMA 0183 network that is not compatable with newer NEMA 2000 networks.

Hope that helps and thanks for the question!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby rick rysemus » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:54 pm

I've been looking at the Simrad Auto Pilots so I should be set with the RC-42 that comes with it. Thanks for the pointer.

I placed an order for the Radar today. Hadn't planned on ordering it so soon but with a 500.00 Lowrance Rebate and supplies down to the last couple...I made the purchase...

Now I'll round up the rest of the list and I'll be set.

Thanks for the help. Can't wait to use the new Elects...I'll be asking some set up questions in a few weeks...
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:17 am

Good move on the Simrad. That's one of the Navico family of marine electronics lines that includes Lowrance, Northstar and others.
The advantage in sticking with that "family" is compatibility. Several Lowrance products will be complemented by Simrad equipment and vice versa. Check out WWW.Navico.com for more details.
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby rick rysemus » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Hey Nelly,

I have a few more questions, that if you have the time, I could use some help on.

1. Where is a good place to locate the Structure Scan head unit? Should it be in the cabin or at the back of the boat?
2. Any recommendations or tips on locating Structure Scan transducer?
3. NMEA 2000 T connector line up location? Should it be in the cabin or at the back of the boat?

At the back of the boat the Sea Sport has that area on either side of the batteries that would be protected weather but still exposed to engine fumes and what not....
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Hey Rick,
I'm going assume that your SeaSport is a full (Alaskan) bulkhead Inboard/Outboard. If I'm in error, please let me know.

Keep in mind that with the Structure Scan you are setting up an Ethernet network on your boat that will share sonar information with all Lowrance Displays on board. This network is separate from your NEMA 2000 system and uses entirely different connections.

As far a location for the display, obviously you need one at the helm but a second, deck unit is ideally located on the aforementioned Alaskan bulkhead facing aft allowing you to operate your vessel from the kicker and look forward to check traffic and see your sounder at the same time.

Position of the SS 'ducer is not as critical as the sonar transducer since we use SS at slower, fishing speeds. As long as you have a solid mounting location that provides an unobstructed view port and starboard, you're good to go!

Regarding NEMA 2000 "T" locations, you definitely need to follow the protocol on Lowrance.com. The " backbone" structure of the network allows easy expandability!
Hope that helps!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby rick rysemus » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Sorry Nelly,

I wasn't clear on the first question to get the answer I need. I meant the Lowrance LSS-1 module not the HDS-10 location.

The rest you answered. Thanks

And Yes my boat is an Alaskan bulkhead with an inboard.
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Sorry Rick,
To me "Head unit" is the display and what you're referring to is the LSS-1 Module that the Structure Scan Transducer plugs into.
Since you have 20' of transducer cable, I would run the full length of that forward and mount the LSS-1 in a dry, protected location.
The advantage of moving the LSS-1 forward is that you can utilize the open ports on the unit to plug in an LWX-1 Sirius satellite weather/music module and/or broadband radar. The LSS-1 is an NEP-1 (Network Expansion Port) with the addition of the Structure Scan driving hardware.
Also, by mounting the LSS-1 farther forward, you'll be able to save a few bucks by purchasing shorter Ethernet cables to complete the installation to your head unit! :D
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby rick rysemus » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks Nelly. I'll have everything this week, just waiting on the HDS-10 and LSS-1. Should be able to start the install this weekend.

Rick
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby Dan Carney » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:19 am

I decided to update my GPS/FF as well. I just ordered my Elite-5 DSI with a Navionics Hotmaps West chip. I opted not to get the gold package as I don't fish canadian lakes nor offshore much. The Elite-5 DSI basemap has inshore contours to 1000 feet which I think will more than cover the areas I intend to fish. Also, the Hotmaps chip covers WA state pretty well with many of the waters that I fish listed in high detail. I am looking forward to installing it and testing it out. My old one was a Lowrance X37 that came with the boat. It will be relocated to the bow and mounted on the electric trolling motor. I decided not to go with a HDS-5 and Structure Scan mostly due to cost.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

PreviousNext

Return to Boat Owners Forum