Lowrance Structure scan sonar

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Lowrance Structure scan sonar

Postby Sleddddder » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:30 pm

Anyone used it yet in the sound? Curious how it will work out there. Also rivers or on the Columbia??? I've got a new HDS-7 in a 20' open sled & looking at the Lowrance website looks like it would be pretty cool for the Columbia.
Sleddddder
Pollywog

Re: Lowrance Structure scan sonar

Postby Nelly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 am

Hey Sled,
I've used Structure Scan, it works and it's a tremendous advantage!

After attending the Lowrance Learning Center at the Puyallup Sportsman's Show even more aspects of this new innovation were driven home. For example, the bottom width coverage of this unit is a simple ratio of 1:1 for Downscan and 2:1 for SideScan. In other words, If you're fishing in 125 feet of water the down scan is covering a 125 foot wide area and the SideScan is looking 250 feet out to either side for an amazing 500 foot swath or more than 50 times your boats width!

The directional information you receive from Structure Scan is amazing as well. Once you mark fish, bait or interesting underwater features, you can scroll over and mark the waypoint!

In the rivers 800 kHz is a great choice and in deeper waters such as Puget Sound 455 kHz will give you the depth penetration you need.

In addition, you'll be able to see other anglers downrigger gear and in combat fishing situations where several other sounders are operating you will not have interference problems since you're using a different frequency! ;)
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Sleddddder » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:53 am

Does the structure scan come with those frequencies? How would it work as a through hull with aluminum hull? Don’t want the transducer getting damaged if I hit a gravel bar.
Sleddddder
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Yes, Structure Scan comes with 800 kHz for shallower water and 455 kHz for the deeper stuff,
I would not use a through hull on a sled though, The unit comes with a kick up transom bracket which should be fine for you!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Sleddddder » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Got one on hold for me at 3 rivers, having them install it next week.
Sleddddder
Pollywog

Postby Salmonhawk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:00 pm

Sleddddder wrote:Got one on hold for me at 3 rivers, having them install it next week.

Congrats! Let us know how you like it.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Sleddddder » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:23 pm

Canyonman is already itching to try it springer fishing. You'll have to come join us.
Sleddddder
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:23 pm

I really believe that Structure Scan has the potential to become a tremendous benefit to spring chinook anglers!
In the Columbia it's all about locating traveling lanes and learning how springers use the river bottom's stucture as they move upstream.
Structure Scan will allow anglers to quickly locate fish & likely areas and accurately set waypoints to return and effectively fish them!
It will be less than a month before I give it a go!!! :shock:
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Robbo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:32 am

It saved my butt more than a few times in SE Alaska last summer. Find the bait in the saltwater and you'll usually find the fish!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Nelly » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:21 am

Something I noticed Monday was that Structure Scan made the masses of shrimp easier to identify. We were at Pt. No Point and rarely had we seen the amount of working birds that were feeding that morning.
Once we trolled by the birds we visually observed them picking shrimp. I switched to a Structure Scan display and to the left I marked a hazy cloud, to the right, Nada... The birds were on our left as well, with not as much as a feather on our right.
With experience, I can really see Structure Scan changing the way I search for fish and bait. I'm going to spend a lot less time over fishless water!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Next

Return to Boat Owners Forum