Sea Bastages

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Sea Bastages

Postby Robbo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:47 pm

It seems like these sonar pics help some of you that are trying to learn how to read your electronics, so I'll keep posting them for you. Here's a sonar pic that T_dub took on my boat a few days ago of a mess of sea bastages under the boat tommygun
sea_bass.jpg
sea_bass.jpg (152.44 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Sea Bastages

Postby Nelly » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:22 am

Nice shot!
A couple of clues to help decipher the images:
:arrow: The sea bass arches have space between them indicating that they are indeed individual fish and not a mass of bait.
:arrow: Lighter arches among the full, colored arches indicate fish to the left and right of the boat as only those individuals that are in the center of the transducer's cone will display a colored arch.
:arrow: Finally, the structure indicates a rocky bottom and the depth (50 feet) is a good indication of "who" might be "home".

The Lowrance 256 color display is an incredible tool and a fishing advantage that must be experienced to be believed. The ability to accurately perform species identification from the comfort of your helm seat really speaks for itself and is a capability that has the potential to significantly increase your fishing effectiveness! rockon
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Sea Bastages

Postby Dan Carney » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:32 am

I've spent the better part of the last year learning to use my new unit. Posts like this and the seminars at the derbies have been a huge help. Thanks for the info Rob and Nelly. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm much more confident intrepreting the images on my display.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Return to Boat Owners Forum