New Hewescraft Ocean Pro 22?

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

New Hewescraft Ocean Pro 22?

Postby Ryan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:07 pm

I am thinking about updgrading to a Hewescraft Ocean Pro 22 HT. Would use it mainly in the Sound from Seattle to Everett but would also like to run out into the Straights for halibut. Perhaps one day also go for tuna with a group of other boats. Anyone on the board have any experience (good or bad) with Hewescrafts or the Ocean Pro? Thoughts on whether this boat will handle the intended uses? Thanks.

http://www.hewescraft.com/mid-size-ocea ... ?p=1.1.4.2
Ryan
Pollywog

Re: New Hewescraft Ocean Pro 22?

Postby Nelly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:51 pm

Hey Ryan,
Welcome to our Forums and I'm glad to hear you're ready to step up to a fishing platform that you and yours will enjoy for several years to come!

You mentioned that the boat will be used mainly in the Sound but offshore as well so you're talking rough water at times.

The very first hull aspect I look for in a big water boat is Reverse chine

Anytime a hull catches water, deflects it or rocks into it, there is an impact. Hulls lacking reverse chine can make the ride seem a bit harder as those forces transfer directly through to you.
Reverse chine hulls, particularly positive bouyancy chambered designs are often the best choice for dryness or stability. The reverse chines direct spray down in front of you cushioning the ride, promoting easier planing and for a related reason provide additional lift.
If you merely increase the "V" or deadrise to smooth out the ride, you negate some of the positive effects of the chines and increase the need for additional power. It is a tradeoff as the more boat you have in the water, the more "ponys" you need to push it!

I hope this all makes sense but I can definitely tell you what does not: Buying a boat without taking it for a ride in the rough stuff!

Check out the gang at Bayside Marine in Everett and Master Marine in Mt. Vernon where you'll find a great selection of boats and honest, experienced professionals standing behind them.

If you want a ride sometime, shoot me a PM and we'll get you behind the wheel! Good luck and good shopping!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Ryan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Nelly - Makes sense and I appreciate your advice.
Ryan
Pollywog

Postby elkruser » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:18 pm

Hey Ryan - Dont rule out the Hewes though. I have a 220 SeaRunner HT and love it. It is a little bit narrower that the OP but is still a very stable ride and handles the cruddy water just fine. They are light which has good and bad aspects: great gas mileage vs bumpy ride. But, if trimmed out right, it rides great. If you're near Mount Vernon and want to check it out, let me know and will take you out on it.

Erik
elkruser
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:26 pm

I put this 26' Hewes thru 6 years of hell in SE Alaska and it was still floating when I sold it several years ago. Like Erik said...they are built fairly light but if you trim them out right they ride fine. Easy on the fuel too. It had it's share of minor problems, mostly components like wipers, lights, etc, but overall it worked fine for me during those years. Apples and oranges compared to some of the heavier built boats though. Good luck with the boat shopping Ryan :D :D

hewes3_web.jpg
hewes3_web.jpg (102.23 KiB) Viewed 13243 times
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Nelly » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:50 pm

I love the home-made kicker handle extension hanging out behind your main!

Lemme ask you Bro, How was the ride of that Hewes compared to your North River which I believe has more reverse chine than the Hewescraft?
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Robbo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Apples and oranges buddy :D

Hey...that kicker handle lasted me 5 of the 6 years. Not many options in Las Craigas for a kicker extension. PVC pipe, hose clamps, blow torch, duct tape...beautimus 8-)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to Boat Owners Forum