Transducer For Nelly

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Transducer For Nelly

Postby LisaMarie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:56 pm

You mentioned you got a new Stainless Through Hull transducer. I was looking at AirMar website, they offer that ducer in both stainless and bronze. I have a fiberglass boat, is there an advantage of bronze over stainless? If not why even offer bronze as an option? Next, was the ducer upgrade worth it? I'm pulling the trigger on the unit next week.
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Re: Transducer For Nelly

Postby Nelly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Hey LM,

When installing a thru-hull in an aluminum boat, bronze is not an option due to the strong, destructive electrolysis that can occur between the two metals in the presence of salt water.

While stainless steel is less active or specifically a more "Noble" metal it is more expensive and difficult to machine hence the higher cost. Incidentially,noble metals are metals that are resistant to corrosion and oxidation both in moist air and underwater in the marine environment.

Since bronze is less expensive and perfectly suitable for fibreglass hulls you get the savings!

Was the 'ducer upgrade worth it? No question! Since the Lowrance HDS units allow you to choose the exact transducer by model number you'll be getting detail and depth penetration that you've never experienced before.

One of the biggest benefits of a properly installed through-hull is the running picture you'll get. Until you see it, you will not believe it!

Good luck and enjoy your new transducer!!!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Nelly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Hey LM,
I cannot PM yet. Don't ask me why,,,??? I don't know! :evil:

However to answer your question, I work with Outdoor Emporium/Sportco exclusively for all of my Lowrance equipment and product support.
Nowhere else in Washington can you find the selection, support and accessories that you need for a complete, trouble free installation!!!
Ask for Paul Marander and tell 'em Nelly sent ya!!! :D
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Captain Morgan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:08 pm

Regarding thru hull transducers for Aluminum/alloy hulls.

I have a friend in Alaska who recently installed one of these transducers, and so far he has no complaints.
http://vexilar.com/pages/accessories/accy_transducers_au.php
They claim: drill no holes and experience no signal loss?
Have yet to test/try it out myself.
Sure looks like a great option, if it truly does all they claim.
May be worth a look, or more research?
Captain Morgan
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:48 pm

I had never heard of that company and that is a very interesting product but if you've got a .250 (Quarter inch) thick hull... You're out of luck since the only recommend that unit for aluminum hulls of .150 or less.
Still, a very interesting concept!!!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum