Anchor up in the salt for halibut?

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Anchor up in the salt for halibut?

Postby Tha Madd Mexican » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Need some help with anchoring up in port angeles.and sekiu. What do I need and how much.?
Tha Madd Mexican
Pollywog

Re: anchor up in tha salt for halibut

Postby Fishnut » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:25 am

I would say to go at least a scope of 3x or three times the depth. Normally more but since you are not staying other than for fishing, it can take a lot of rope and possibly up to 5X scope. I very seldom anchor as I like to move around. One of the reason you see a lot of people do it at the bottom of Vancouver Island is that it is very snaggy and easy to lose gear. In the straits, the fish are on the move. If they are there, you have a chance to get them eventually, use lots of scent. If not, you are in for a long day. Just remember never to anchor stern first, always bow first. Around Race Rocks in BC there is a boat that goes down every so many years as when they drive away to pull their anchor (bow attached anchor) they let the rope go under the boat and don't keep it off of to the side. They get the prop and it pulls them under stern first. This is very dangerous and has to be done properly. If you can pull the anchor by hand or by windlass that won't happen .

Good Luck
Ron Garner
Fishnut
Pollywog

Re: Anchor up in the salt for halibut?

Postby Nelly » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:22 am

I have anchored for halibut in 400 feet of water with 550 feet of rope plus 30' of chain and a 18lb Danforth anchor.
That's only a scope of 1.5 and keep in mind that this was a light current situation and we only stayed anchored for three hours.
To safely deploy & retrieve your anchor, you should seriously consider installing an anchor roller mount to your boat.

Here's what a good one looks like! They are available at Harbor Marine in Everett and other good marine outlets:
WIN-URM-3_lg.jpg
WIN-URM-3_lg.jpg (30.74 KiB) Viewed 6751 times

Roller mounts keep your anchor secure, ready to safely deploy and save space in your boat!
If you pick flatter tides and calm weather, anchoring for halibut can be very effective and enjoyable!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Robbo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:36 pm

I would pick up a 100 fathom shot of anchor line, 25 to 40 feet of chain depending on the length of your boat, an anchor bouy, a 6" stainless ring, some shackles, and a 21 pound claw anchor. If you're in a smaller boat you could get away with a little smaller anchor as Nelly mentioned.

Depending on the tide and the seas you'll need to have anywhere from 1.5 to 3 times the scope to hold bottom. Be careful anchoring in heavy seas or heavy chop with smaller amounts of scope, as you can dig your bow in and turn your boat into a deep six. In calm seas it's pretty easy to anchor with a smaller scope amount though. Once your anchored up watch your GPS and see if you're making way. If so pay out some more line. If I'm anchoring in 250 feet of water I'll usually have about 500 feet of anchor line out.

For pulling anchor use a 6" stainless seine ring that will slide over your anchor line and chain. You can either attach your anchor pulling bouy directly to that ring with a heavy duty carabiner or run a short painter line to your anchor bouy. When your ready to pull anchor put the boat in gear and steer away from your anchor point at about a 45 degree angle running about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. Do a big circle around your anchor and eventually the ring will slide thru the chain and your anchor will be floating on the surface. If you plan this right you'll be upwind of your floating anchor and the wind will push you towards the anchor as you're stowing the line.

Be very careful not to wrap your anchor line in your wheel. If you're still anchored up and this happens the boat will then be facing stern first into the seas. No bueno! For this same reason don't ever tie off to a stern cleat to pull the anchor thumbdown

There's a couple ways to add a chum bag. Pick up some of the big bait bags that the king crabbers use at Seattle Marine or tie up some onion sacks full of goodies. Be sure to attach your chum bag as close to the anchor as possible or you'll tear it off when you're pulling anchor. I usually attach mine right to the uppermost part of the anchor.

Hope that helps and feel free to axe if you gots any more questions. Thursday is Hammer Time rockon
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Tha Madd Mexican » Tue May 01, 2012 4:52 am

Hey thanks alot guys. I think im ready for it. I own a 22 ft olympic hardtop. cliff
Tha Madd Mexican
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum