STORM WARNING...

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

STORM WARNING...

Postby Nelly » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:03 pm

PZZ170-230200-
WATERS FROM CAPE FLATTERY TO JAMES ISLAND 10 TO 60 NM-
848 AM PST SUN JAN 22 2012

...STORM WARNING IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS EVENING...
TODAY...SE WIND 40 TO 50 KT...BECOMING SW IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 18 TO 22 FT WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 14 SECONDS. RAIN.

TONIGHT...SW WIND 40 TO 50 KT...BECOMING W 20 TO 30 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. COMBINED SEAS 20 TO 23 FT WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 13 SECONDS. SHOWERS LIKELY.

If you get caught out in it, it's nice to know your boat can handle it. It's why I'm happy to be in a Stabicraft! POST YOUR ROUGH WATER SHOTS HERE!

aROUGH.jpg
aROUGH.jpg (42.27 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

ajump.jpg
ajump.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: STORM WARNING...

Postby Dan Carney » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:11 am

Nelly,
I don't have any pictures, but I have had my 16 ft Tracker in rough water several times. One time in particular, my dad and I were trolling the rip-rap on the Columbia near Bigs Junction. The wind really started blowing hard from the west, and before long there were 6 ft rollers blowing up the river. As if that didn't make trolling hard enough, the wind kept trying to blow my bow into the bank, and all those rocks. After a few minutes of fighting it I got a great idea, I dropped my bow-mounted electric trolling motor. My kicker provided forward propulsion, and my electric worked like a bow-thruster to keep the bow out. It really worked well. At one point I looked up at my dad and told him, we must be nuts to be out here fishing in this stuff. It probably looks like we are in a fishing commercial or something. Anyway, with good boat handling we got back to the dock just fine.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Return to Boat Owners Forum