It's never too early to get ready for Archery elk!!

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

It's never too early to get ready for Archery elk!!

Postby upfrontoutfitter » Thu May 26, 2011 11:57 am

As a professional hunting guide for big game in two different states and Washington state's most successful public land hunting outfitter I spend months in the field scouting for big game each year. I talk to hundreds of hunters each year during seminars and at sportshows, who ask advice on how to be successful hunting on public lands. Every year it seems that the most popular subject is Archery elk hunting. This subject draws more attention and bigger seminar crowds than any other topic I speak about. I have successfully guided hunters to over 230 public land elk and base my advice strictly on my experience in the field. I am not the type of guy who thinks he knows everything about hunting but I do know that many hunters can learn from my experience. Many magazine arcticles are written by inexperienced hunters who pass on bad advice, yet to the inexperienced hunter it may seem logical. This spreads through our public lands like a wildfire affecting all of us looking for a quality hunting experience. With Archery elk season just around the corner it is never to early too start scouting, preparing and learning for your hunting season success.

The fact is that during the summer months while I am out scouting I will very seldom see any other hunters scouting for the upcoming season. Be it deer or elk hunters the average person very seldom scouts. I will spend almost every day scouting but yet I will see only a handful of people throughout the summer actually doing the homework that it takes to be successful. Even in states like New Mexico I seldom see people or even other guides scouting until immediately prior to the hunt. With this being said how does one expect success without knowing where, when or how these animals live? Although luck is the major component to successful hunting, knowledge of the areas and the animals are also a huge factor.

With the proper planning and scouting 85 - 90 percent of all my archery hunters will successfully take a shot at a public land bull elk. That includes my hunters right here in Western Washington!! Some of the key factors involved with planning your hunt should start with learning your areas. Not just the road systems but what is beyond the end of the road. Many elk in todays world do not bugle or even respond to bugles so calling is a major setback for many people who rely on it to locate elk. I spend every chance I have watching elk, learning where they live, where they bed down, etc. Knowing these things will allow me to be with the elk whether they are bugling or not. Game cameras are a very productive way to scout without having to go to the areas on a weekly basis. I often have 12 - 16 game cameras out in different areas so that I can determine things such as how often elk travel drainages, what quality of elk are in the area, how many bulls. Knowledge of this kind is priceless on any hunt.

If anyone who reads this would like advice on public land archery elk hunting or has hunting questions in general regarding scouting, game cameras, calling, etc. Post your questions and I will be happy to reply with my very best educated answers. It is very rewarding to educate people on proper hunting methods and techniques so that we can all have a better experience with public land hunting.

Mike Jenkins
Upfrontoutfitter.com
Attachments
insley.jpg
Greg Insley Pope & Young Roosevelt elk
insley.jpg (48.25 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
upfrontoutfitter
Pollywog

Re: It's never too early to get ready for Archery elk!!

Postby Eddy C » Thu May 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks for sharing that Mike. I'm sure I'll be havin some questions.
Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Thu May 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Great advice Mike...I like the work ethic. That speaks volumes!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Salmonhawk » Sat May 28, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks Mike for being willing to share what you have learned over the years. After I get this deer this year I might have to hit you up for the elk next year. My daughter and I are about to head out the door to pick up our bows. Now the work and the fun begins.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Return to Hunting Camp Forum