Oak Creek Elk

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

Oak Creek Elk

Postby Ray G » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:06 am

This weekend the wife and I took a drive to the Oak Creek Feeding station just west of Yakima. We saw over 800 elk, 50 big horn sheep and some deer. Oak Creek is a great place to see the winter Elk migration. Every year since the 50's the state has been feeding Elk here and the sheer numbers is quite impressive. There are more then a dozen volunteers that are happy to take you on a tour of the area in there military style flatbeds and tell you all about the program. I have found this a fun wintertime trip and a great opportunity to see just how many big bulls there are roaming the east side of the state. The volunteer told us that there were roughly 100 bulls and 700 cows. Impressive to say the least.

for more info go to http://www.nachesvalleychamber.com/info/elkfeeding.html
Attachments
Untitled-2 - Copy.jpg
Untitled-2 - Copy.jpg (145.17 KiB) Viewed 5362 times
Ray G
Pollywog

Re: Oak Creek Elk

Postby Nelly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:44 am

Very cool Ray Ray!

The wife & I went there a couple years back and she looked at that herd of bull elk, antlers sticking out everywhere and asked me: "What's so hard about elk hunting?"

I just shook my head. How do you answer that?
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Robbo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:56 am

Fun deal Ray! When I played at YVC I used to volunteer at Oak Creek. We would park the ol'military truck full of hay in the middle of the field and then lay on the horn. Within 10 minutes there would be 500 elk there. Oh how I wish this worked during elk season!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Maury » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:05 am

Maybe it would work during the hunting season. Not the feeding, that would be a no-no, but laying on the horn. In all the years I have hunted over that way, I have never heard anyone try it so who knows.
Maury
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:21 pm

I tried it in Naches many moons ago Maury and it didn't work. Perhaps under different conditions it could be effective though. If you have any luck with the horn method please let us know 8-)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to Hunting Camp Forum