Sekiu Hot for the dark bite!

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Sekiu Hot for the dark bite!

Postby Todd Busby Cut Plug » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:11 pm

I took the 33', Team Cut Plug Ocean Sport from Everett to Sekiu with my son and one of my fishing buddies yesterday, we left the dock at 3:45 am. We stopped for an hour fish at Port Townsend but never touched a fish. With 6 to 7 swells and big chop we headed up the Strait to Sekiu. Fishing off of Slip Point, we immediately caught a limit of pinks each. We even managed to catch and release a 20 lb halibut that hit the Cop Car and green flasher in 120' of water. He was a dandy, sorry to see him go. We headed back to Van Ripers dock and heard from Chris that the evening and morning bite was like clock work. So, we each took a one hour power nap, fueled up with lunch and headed back out at 5 pm. By 8 pm, like clock work, the humpies quit biting and the kings EXPLODED! I mean, rip roaring, full on action. By 9:30 we hooked 6 legal hatchery Kings and released 2 legal sized, wild Kings. Yes, that's right, 8 legal sized Kings in 90 minutes, right up to pitch black dark. Next morning the bite was on again, 4 more keeper kings before we headed for home at 10 am. There were so many pinks it was difficult to fish for kings. We sped up, we fished up, we fished down, even fished the Cannon BOTTOM TRACK downrigger to 240'. We just couldn't keep the pinks off! In 12 hours of fishing, we probably released close to 50 pinks! It was absolutely crazy!

Top Hatchery Kings: 19 lb, 17 lb, and (2) 12 lb'ers

The hot spot: Slip Point, 200' of water, 50' to 85' feet down.

Top Gear, hands down: Q Cove Flasher (Green Dragon with UV) and a Silver Horde Cop Car in UV. After catching over 30 fish, I finally had to retire the Cop Car, it was hammered! 40" of leader between the knots.

The Halibut: Caught in 120' of water in front of the Caves.

It's gonna be hard to fish Possession coming off an amazing trip at Sekiu.

It was amazing, in the same location, the kings had the morning and evening bite and the pinks were on from 9 am to 8 pm. Only caught 1 Coho (wild), I guess they didn't call head for their reservation!

All and all, we caught over 20 kings and 40 pinks!
Todd Busby Cut Plug
Pollywog

Return to Fishing Reports