Potholes at MarDon Resort Walleye Report

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Potholes at MarDon Resort Walleye Report

Postby House » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:48 pm

With 61 degree temperature a few weeks ago we are seeing a different type of spawn this year. Gary Roach, a professional Walleye fisherman, from Minnesota taught us in 1983 that walleye spawn on the face of O'Sullivan at 45'F. Each year in the MarDon tackle shop we see some interesting yet unanswered questions on Walleye spawn.
Fishermen bring in Walleye weighing 7lb from seven feet of water in Crab Creek near the power line boat launch that are spawning.
The water temperature where the walleye was caught was 63'F, what is your assumption? My repeatedly seeing these spawning windows make me think these O'Sullivan Dam walleye are first each year at 45'F.
The Lind Coulee seems to be constant with 45-50'F spawn along with Frenchman wasteway. I believe walleye might not seem to spawn at 63'F. I simply think these walleye as a number one predator will always be in the Potholes.
I feel without increased habitat boxes for additional sanctuary the walleye will only deplete the primary food base, Perch. This is why the CWFAC will continue to build more habitat boxes to provide more deep water sanctuary on Potholes Reservoir.

Report by Mike Meseberg

Cole Quist of Yakima trolled a bomber jointed plug up in the Lind Coulee arm of Potholes Reservoir for this 32" 9.4 lb. Walleye. This fish was already spawned out on 3/5/16 and heading back to the Lind Coulee, perch feeding area. (A 32" walleye on August 19,2015 weighed 13 lb. 4 oz. in our boat).
aWalleye!.jpg
aWalleye!.jpg (90.15 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
House
FYI

Return to Fishing Reports