A great day in MA 7

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

A great day in MA 7

Postby Twhite » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:21 am

I couldn't resist posting this photo. I took a newbie and his son for a morning in the San Juan's yesterday. It started a little slow but at the tide change the fish that I had been marking all morning went on the feed. After reeling in a couple of dogfish the little guy was ready for a salmon. When one of the rods popped I guessed a small chinook based on the initial fight so handed the rod off to Jake and his dad. As I was raising the downriggers I heard the real scream and thought that doesn't sound like the 7 pounder I thought we had. Jake and his dad did a great job double teaming the fish and we slid the net under a nice 12 lb San Juan chinook. Jake's smile made the day for me. Our fish came at 65-75 feet down in 120-130 feet of water. All fish came on bait (herring in a helmet) smallest herring I could find. All of the fish were stuffed with 3" herring. No coho or pinks for us, but the chinook are in for sure, time to get out and take a kid fishing!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (98.16 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
Twhite
Pollywog

Re: A great day in MA 7

Postby Nelly » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:27 pm

Great work and thanks for the report
You should feel good about giving a memory that may turn into a life long passion to that kid! Way to go! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: A great day in MA 7

Postby rrenick65 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:14 pm

It's been good the last few weeks out there
rrenick65
Pollywog

Return to Fishing Reports