Tiger Muskies of Mayfield Lake

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Tiger Muskies of Mayfield Lake

Postby KayakFishingWA » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:06 pm

2014 has a been a great year of fishing. I've managed to check several fish off of my bucket list. Growing up in Upstate New York, I had missed the days of catching big northern pike out of the Finger Lakes. It seems if I were to do any pike fishing, I'd be taking a long drive to the eastern part of the state.

It was a number of years ago that I had read that a bunch of Tiger Muskies were dumped into Greenlake to get rid of the lake's unwanted junk fish. I could kick myself for not getting out there and trying to catch one of them. Those fish have all but died off. I knew there were a few lakes south of Seattle (Tapps, Merwin, Mayfield and Curlue) that were stocked with Tiger Muskies but I didn't know anyone who fished for them. I researched the local muskie chapter down south and one of their members was able to give me a couple of pointers over email.

A buddy and I hit Lake Tapps last summer only to be discouraged by jet skiis and power boats racing up and down the lake. I had driven past Mayfield Lake on trips to Swofford Pond and Riffe Lake but had never wet a line.

Fast forward to 2014... after an expensive trip to Cabela's to pick up gear, I grabbed my buddy and our two kayaks and headed south to Mayfield Lake. We arrived in the late afternoon and fished for a couple of hours. I had heard how these fish were "a fish of a thousand casts" and it didn't take long before we began seeing fish in the 3 to 4 foot range laying in the weeds or a few following in our lures. They weren't spooked much and would just lay there with no interest in any presentation we threw at them. By the end of the day, I had managed to hook into three fish but only landed one. An oversized broken back Rapala seemed to be the only lure I could get them to strike. I've never spent $17 on a lure, but in the end this was a good investment. Needless to say, I'll be back.
tiger1.jpg
Tiger Muskie
tiger1.jpg (108.57 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
Attachments
tiger2.jpg
Tiger Muskie
tiger2.jpg (92.3 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
Brad is founder of Kayak Fishing Washington; We promote the sport of kayak fishing in Washington State through clinics, meet ups and guiding.
http://www.kayakfishingwashington.com
& http://www.facebook.com/kayakfishingwashington
KayakFishingWA
Pollywog

Re: Tiger Muskies of Mayfield Lake

Postby king me » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Good for you. That's cool. I deer hunt the Curlew area and heard from the locals that Curlew Lake has big Muskies in it. It would be worth trying, and if all else fails you could fish Omak on your way home thumbup
king me
Pecker Trout

Return to Fishing Reports