Spot Prawns!

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Spot Prawns!

Postby Chef Patrick » Sun May 04, 2014 7:23 am

Anyone else find them unusually shallow yesterday? I made the stupid mistake on our first drop of putting the pots at a depth I thought they should be, rather then the depth my electronics told me they were at. 180 - 190 feet was where we had our best pulls.

It also didn't help I didn't have my own pots rigged right on the first drop ..... dumbass. :oops:

Despite trying my best to screw things up, we managed to fill our buckets with limits of fat prawns, and I even got my first same-day blog post written.
Read here for an easy way to save the flavor from those shrimp heads.

Chef Patrick
Pollywog

Re: Spot Prawns!

Postby Brandon » Sun May 04, 2014 7:44 am

They were shallow for me to. I shrimped the canal and my best pulls were between 150-180.
Brandon
Metalhawg

Re: Spot Prawns!

Postby Saharit » Sun May 04, 2014 11:49 am

Went shrimping in Browns Bay. We were fortunate enough to pull five limits in water between 280 and 365 feet, but had to work at it. Felt fortunate for the sunny weather last couple of years given yesterday’s conditions were not ideal with driving wind and rain at times.

Had a rotation of four pots with 45-60 minute soak times. First two produced 60+ then numbers went south (lowest number only 10) only to finish strong with another 60+ count on our last pot. We finished around 11 am and even had a couple minutes to chit chat with WDFW Officer Tyler.

Used John Martinis’ formula (pellets + mackerel + cat food) although I think our pellet mixture w/Pro-Cure Shrimp & Crab attractant was a little too thick. Despite grounding up more than half the pellets, it did not disperse enough (less than 25% dispersed from the bait barrels). I should have introduce some water to the mixture. Also got a recommendation for incorporating fish fertilizer. Lessons learned for next year.

There were many more boats closer to shore in Browns Bay. However, overall it seemed like there were less boats this year. Electronics were also showing nice shrimp clouds from 400-500 feet, but we did not have enough line for a test pot. Wonder if there are reports from others on shallow and deeper depths?

Good luck to those going out on May 7.

-Troy
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
Prawns!
photo 3.JPG (144.81 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
Four Reel II
Saharit
Pollywog

Return to Fishing Reports