Anacortes salmon derby reports

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Anacortes salmon derby reports

Postby rustyzipper » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:50 pm

How did everyone do?
156 fish turned in with wicked weather on Saturday thumbdown
I fished both days with not a bump.... lost 2 balls....
oh well still had fun, great derby thumbup
rustyzipper
Pollywog

Re: Anacortes salmon derby reports

Postby Nelly » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:30 am

There are definitely some spring chinook finning through the San Juans...

Check out the Anacortes Salmon Derby final standings!
aboard.jpg
aboard.jpg (39.28 KiB) Viewed 8640 times

...and here's the top four on ice! WOW!!! drool
aice.jpg
aice.jpg (25.88 KiB) Viewed 8640 times

Congrats to all the winners and we'll see you next year!!! rockon
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby mitch184 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:05 am

Nelly,
Do they check the fish for chips to see where they're heading back to? Would be interesting to see which hatchery is producing these bigger fish.
mitch184
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:23 am

That's affirmative!
Both WDFW and NOAA biologists were on hand with the metal detecting wands and they checked each and every fish entered in the Anacortes Salmon Derby.
The "metal" they detect is of course CWT's or Coded Wire Tags that indicate where that fish came from and the date of its release.
When we get wind of the results of this weekend's data collection, we will post it up fast!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby House » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:38 am

April 1, 2014

Press Release
(360) 293-6450

For Immediate Release

Local resident takes $15,000 prize in 8th Annual Anacortes Salmon Derby

Anacortes – This year’s derby contestants experienced good fishing, good times, and unsettled weather, as over 1,100 registered anglers took to local waters this past weekend.

Open Division: Landing a winning fish to collect the top prize of $15,000, Bill Robillard of Anacortes, WA mounted a late rally Sunday morning to upset the previous day’s big-fish by hanging a 24.62 pound Chinook on the official scale to take top honors and this year’s braggin’ rights.
As he was standing on stage holding the winner’s check, Robillard said: “This year the money stays right here in Anacortes.” Robillard’s fish was one of 156 total fish boated during the two day contest - which considering Saturday’s sloppy weather conditions, speaks quite well to the fishing prowess of the contestants and a healthy resource.

Also Ran(s): Mike Bredeson of Everson, WA won $5,000 for his 2nd place finish with a 20.24 pound fish which stood atop the leader board as the scales closed on Saturday evening - easily besting Steve Martin of Bellingham, WA who took home $2,500 for 3rd place finish with his18.72 pound entry.

I’ve Got A Secret: Paul Mcabee of Bellingham, WA was in the right place at the right time and saw his 9.72 pounder come closest to a pre-determined weight in the Secret Weight category worth $2,500.00. When accepting his prize, Paul humorously remarked “… It pays to be lucky.”

Ladies First: Kelli Martin of Lynden, WA won the Women’s Division bracket with a 13.66 pound fish – disappointing all other distaff contenders - and took home an creel-full of prizes as well as the trophy for her winning effort.

Young Guns: Trevor Westman of Oak Harbor, WA was the best-of-the-best in the Youth Division (14 years and under) with his 14.64 pound fish, beating out more than 40 other youthful hopefuls for the top prize. Each and every youngster took home a custom-made participation medal, and assuredly, some fond memories.

GAFFF: The 2nd Annual, Great Anacortes Fishing Film Festival, was well received as the 500-plus folks in attendance were treated to some exciting video footage of some wide-open fishing action. The winner of the Pro Division was Charter Captain and radio show host Rob Endsley of Gig Harbor, WA and Craig, AK. Winning the Amateur Division was Jim Ramos of Sedro Wooley, WA, as well as the crowd’s choice for the Silver Horde Anglers’ Choice Award. “I think it was a good success and a great encore to the inaugural “event-within-an-event” said Derby Board Chairman, Jay Field. He went on to say “I hope others watching were inspired to submit entries for next year’s show.

It’s A Wrap: “I know I say it every year ... this year’s event was the best one to date” said 2014 Event Chairman, Terry Nemeth. “Everyone I’ve talked to this weekend was having a great time ... most indicated that this was their favorite fishing derby. This event is the result of hundreds and hundreds of hours of planning and effort by the Board of Directors of the Anacortes Salmon Derby and members of the host organization: the Fidalgo-San Juan Islands Chapter of the Puget Sound Anglers.” Nemeth went on to say: “This charitable community event could not take place without the ongoing support from the Port of Anacortes, the generosity of local businesses, those businesses with ties to the fishing community, and an all volunteer staff.

The proceeds from this derby fund scholarships to benefit young adults pursuing a career in fishery management and related fields. The Derby has disbursed nearly $200,000 in scholarships and grants in the past 7-years. For more information and pictures, please go to: www.anacortessalmonderby.com
House
FYI

Postby Robbo » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Bill Robillard won the Anacortes Derby this past weekend and $15,000 large with a 24.72 pound Chinook he caught at Lopez Pass on day two of the event.
first.jpg
first.jpg (95.9 KiB) Viewed 8531 times

Mike Bredeson took second place with a 20.24 blackmouth that he caught off Pt. Doughty on Orcas Island
second.jpg
second.jpg (95.17 KiB) Viewed 8531 times

Steve Martin took 3rd in the derby with the 18.72 pound blackmouth that he caught with son Eric Martin off Waldron Island
third.jpg
third.jpg (107.83 KiB) Viewed 8531 times

Here's 4th thru 10th place and the loot that these fellars are taking home from the 2014 Anacortes Derby
4thru10.jpg
4thru10.jpg (93.75 KiB) Viewed 8531 times

Paul McAbee won the $2500 mystery weight cash at the awards ceremony yesterday. If he looks familiar his fishing partner Dale Nelson won the Resurrection Derby back in December. These guys are no strangers to the San Juan Islands.
mystery_fish.jpg
mystery_fish.jpg (92.3 KiB) Viewed 8531 times

Tommy VanWingerden took home $10,100 in cashola by winning the side bet pot. He fishes with his grandfather, Walt VanWingerden, and these guys won the Resurrection Derby in Friday Harbor two winters again. There's some darn good fisherman in these islands!
vanwingerden.jpg
vanwingerden.jpg (84.9 KiB) Viewed 8531 times

14 year old Trevor Westman of Oak Harbor won the youth division with a 14.64 pound blackmouth.
youth_winner.jpg
youth_winner.jpg (97.3 KiB) Viewed 8531 times

This is probably the best part of the whole event. Jay and the gang from the derby board get all the kids up on stage and every one of them goes home with some schwag. They gave a couple of bikes away to a couple of lucky kiddos.
bikes.jpg
bikes.jpg (107.04 KiB) Viewed 8531 times

Last but not least is ol' Nelly with a couple of the blackmouth that we caught in the event. We did really well over the course of the two days, but unfortunately we just couldn't catch anything of any size.
tom_blackmouth.jpg
tom_blackmouth.jpg (104.29 KiB) Viewed 8531 times

I was lucky enough to win my second GAFF video award on Friday night in the derby tent. There were some great vids this year and I'm hoping some folks will put some videos together for next years Anacortes Salmon Derby.
gaff_winner2.jpg
gaff_winner2.jpg (76.54 KiB) Viewed 8531 times

Here's what the Anacortes Salmon Derby is all about. The Fidalgo Chapter of the Puget Sound Anglers has hosted this event for the last 8 years and they have now raised over $200,000 for this great cause. It's no small thing to host a derby for over 1,000 anglers and the awesome group of people that put this derby on every year should be applauded for all their hard work. Thanks again for having the Outdoor Line at your event guys and we look forward to seeing you all again next year!
scholarship.jpg
scholarship.jpg (116.13 KiB) Viewed 8531 times
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Brandon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:36 am

This has quickly become my favorite derby as well. Fishing was tough but we got into a few fish each day. Heres a pic of our biggest one.. I think it got us like 34th place or something. Won a wad of silver horde spoons.

Also had a white guy... Smoking it as I type this. This derby sure is a blast and im learning so many new spots each time I fish this derby. Definatly be back next year.
Brandon
Metalhawg

Postby Rock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:49 pm

Robbo,

Do you have a link to the video that won the award for you?

Awesome pics BTW! looks awesome!
Rock
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Sorry it took so long to post the video link. Here ya go Rock...hope you enjoy the vid ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtUouINQfAU
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to Fishing Reports