What style of anchor?

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

What style of anchor?

Postby Thrasher » Thu May 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Well, it's long overdue. I need to put some sort of an anchor on my 21' North River Seahawk. If both my motors were to fail, it's dumb to be without an anchor of some sort. Also, I want to be able to anchor up in the straits for butts.

I have a Miller marine anchor nest on my bow.

http://millermarineproducts.com/product ... or-locker/

Some have said that the best thing for my boat, for anchoring in the straits is a 16.5# Bruce Anchor. I have also talked to some other guys that simply use their rocking chair style river anchor and have no problem. In both instances, the use of 20'-25' of chain along with 300' of rope has been the suggestion.

What style do you guys suggest and how heavy? I'm heading tomorrow to pick up an anchor and was curious what you guys have to say.... Bruce? Fortress? Rocking chair?....
Thrasher
Pollywog

Re: What style of anchor?

Postby Nelly » Thu May 23, 2013 10:16 pm

You're right on the money with an anchor roller mount!

It's the best way to store, deploy and retrieve your anchor!

Can't disagree with the choice of a Bruce or plow style pick either. It's a very effective design for the predominant sand, mud, mixed rocky substrates we encounter in these parts.

Usually 1/2 to 3/4 your boat length in 3/8" galvanized proof coil chain will get the job done and if you're anchoring for 'butts, 400' of 3/8" nylon rope is not too much.

Head to Harbor Marine in Everett and they will also hook you up with a wire hoop reinforced "Rode bag" (very sturdy nylon mesh anchor rope & chain bag) that will keep your set up neat and tidy until you're ready to.... weigh anchor! rockon
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Thrasher » Wed May 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Well, I ended up running out of time to buy an anchor so I ended up borrowing a 33# Leelock rocking chair. I ended up anchoring in the Straits in 180-190' of water with 300' of rope and 25' of chain, with no problems.

So now I wonder a few things since I still need to go buy one. Is a 33# over kill for anchoring in the Columbia or Fraser in my 21' Seahawk? I am wondering about just using one anchor for the river and the San Juan's if possible. Or should I just use a 16 lb Bruce for the Islands and a lighter rocking chair style in the rivers? Pulling that 33# anchor with the 25' of chain the last 25' by hand is NOT fun.

What you think guys?
Thrasher
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Thu May 30, 2013 3:36 am

I think you'll look like Arnold Schwartzenegger by the end of the summer! rofl

You don't need a 33 pounder for your boat, especially with 25 feet of chain!
Look for a 20 pound plow style and buy a roller mount to match it.

Then we need to talk you in to using a float to pull your anchor!! :shock:
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Thrasher » Thu May 30, 2013 7:54 am

rofl I have an EZ Marine anchor puller. I was just referring to the last 25', having to pull the 33# anchor along with the chain. Manual labor for a desk jockey ;)

So, I ended up grabbing a 16# Bruce style from a buddy that had a spare. Do you think that would suffice? Or, should I say I appreciate the gesture, but then go pick up a 22# Bruce? I guess I was trying to stay away from having 2 different styles of anchors if possible. Which, I suppose I could if I wanted to use that 33# rocking chair for the Islands and the rivers. It just seems like over kill. It did hold though during last weekends ripping tides.... Hmmmm ???
Thrasher
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Thu May 30, 2013 2:19 pm

I bet that 16-pound Bruce will hold in everything you need.
Give it a try and cancel your gym membership! ;)
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby JeffKells » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:23 am

I've heard plenty of good about Fortress anchors, as well as Bruce.

I've been using my Lewmar Delta for close to 16 years now, though, without an issue. Sticks on the first try most times. Good article on selecting right size, reviews on the Delta etc.: http://citimarinestore.com/citiguide/lewmar-delta-anchor-quick-set-strong-hold-easy-pull/

The thing about the Fortress is the amount of chain / scope needed. But with the proper amount, heard they're solid anchors.
JeffKells
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum