Descending devices

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Descending devices

Postby Bowfinger12000 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:53 am

Does anyone have any recommendations on fish descending devise? Does John's Sporting carry them? Is there anything specifically I should be looking for? I might be overthinking this but I'd like to have as much knowledge on these as possible since I've never actually seen one first hand so I guess ease of use is another thing I'd like to know. I've read that beginning July 1st all boats will be required to have one on board. Thanks
Bowfinger12000
Pollywog

Re: Descending devices

Postby Bowfinger12000 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:07 am

FISHING RULE CHANGE
WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

February 17, 2017

Changes announced to 2017 ocean fishery for bottomfish

Action: Modify the recreational rockfish daily limit from 10 to 7 in Marine Areas 1 through 4, with a sublimit of 1 canary rockfish in Marine Areas 1 and 2 only. Adjust the overall bottomfish daily limit from 12 to 9 so anglers can continue to retain two bottomfish in addition to their rockfish limit. Remove the 22-inch minimum size limit for lingcod in Marine Areas 1 through 4, and reduce the size of the deepwater lingcod closure in Marine Area 1 by moving the southern boundary five miles north (46� 33.00? N. Lat.).

Effective date: Immediately

Species affected: Bottomfish and lingcod

Bottomfish daily limit: Marine Areas 1 through 3 and Marine Area 4 (west of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line)

Canary retention: Marine Areas 1 and 2

Lingcod season: Marine Areas 1 through 3

Deepwater lingcod closure: Marine Area 1

Lingcod minimum size limit Marine Areas 1 through 3 and Marine Area 4 (west of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line)

Reason for action: The Pacific Fishery Management Council adopted changes to the recreational bottomfish harvest limits and fishing regulations for the Washington coast as part of its management process for the 2017 and 2018 bottomfish seasons.

While the black rockfish stock remains healthy, catches have been higher in the last couple of years than the limits the Council adopted for 2017 and 2018. Changes to our recreational daily limits are necessary to ensure black rockfish catch in Washington recreational fisheries does not exceed the limit. Additionally, the west coast canary rockfish population has rebuilt and recreational harvest limits are sufficient to allow the retention of up to one canary rockfish in Marine Areas 1 and 2. Canary rockfish retention will continue to be prohibited in Marine Areas 3 and 4, but may be allowed in future years if it could be done in a manner that does not result in unintentional catch of yelloweye rockfish.

Removing the lingcod size limit will allow anglers to retain lingcod regardless of size. Lingcod are abundant and removing the size limit is not expected to have any effect on the conservation of the stock, and may reduce the amount of yelloweye rockfish that are encountered by anglers targeting lingcod.

The southern boundary of the deepwater lingcod closure in Marine Area 1 will be moved five miles north opening more area for lingcod retention.

These rule changes are necessary to keep recreational catch within federal harvest limits and to conform to rules already approved by the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).

Information contact: Heather Reed, (360) 902-2487
Bowfinger12000
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:20 am

Great question Bow,
Yes, Johns does indeed have decender devices and, as luck would have it, John is joining me in studio this Saturday and we'll discuss this important topic! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Bowfinger12000 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Looking forward to the show as always....it's moving weekend so I'll be earbuds in while hauling furniture and boxes. I'm luckily moving to Hansville and excited to be smack in the middle of 9!! Downer is I'm missing all this hot blackmouth fishing.
Bowfinger12000
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:19 am

This is the most popular one Bowfinger

http://seaqualizer.com

Ron Garner and the gang from Puget Sound Anglers have tested a LOT of descenders and have landed on this one as their favorite.
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bowfinger12000 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:42 am

Thanks Guru!! I guess there's a PSA chapter that meets in the area I'm moving to so I think I'll check that out and hopefully it's something I can get involved in. rockon
Bowfinger12000
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion