What airmar transducer

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

What airmar transducer

Postby Ashbad » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:26 pm

I’m upgrading electronics in my boat, haveing a hard time figuring out what transducer to buy I like the airmar dual frequency b275LHW but every time I ask some one they tell me something different. I will be doing most if my fishing in north Puget Sound but also some offshore tuna trips and to Vancouver island. Any suggestions would help
Ashbad
Pollywog

Re: What airmar transducer

Postby Nelly » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Welcome aboard AB,

While it would be helpful to know what type of boat you have, since you specified a "B" or bronze transducer and are talking offshore, I'm going to assume you have an outboard-powered fiberglass hull with a 20-degree deadrise at the transom.

You're on the right track with the Airmar B275LHW http://www.airmartechnology.com/productdescription.html?id=172 which is a Bronze, Low, High Wide fairing-block through hull transducer.

Airmar identifies it's CHIRP units by ending the model number in a 5 (Five) so you're getting a 1000-watt Low CHIRP, High CHIRP, wide cone angle unit and don't let anyone talk you out of it!

The only other thing that I would consider is possibly a flush -mount through-hull to minimize a trailer bunk issue.
If the position of the fairing-block 'ducer could be a problem, take a look at the B175HW http://www.airmartechnology.com/productdescription.html?id=167

While you would be losing Low CHIRP, you would be gaining a bulletproof flush mount which could likely be the last transducer you'll ever buy! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Ashbad » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks sorry 26 foot ospreys twin 200s but the other question I have that know one seem to know or I’m not talking to the right people is can you run two transducers off these new units like a 175hw and 175M instead of the faring block 275 style or is the 175 all I will ever need, because I’m most of my fishing will be done 200feet or less but some of my favorite spot are much deep In the later summer and the occasional tuna trip or deep halibut trip?
Ashbad
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:36 pm

You don’t need to run twin flush through hulls for your type of fishing.
Go with the B175HW and you will not experience the drag of that fairing block.
Good luck and happy High CHIRPING! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby ericl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:39 pm

What type of sounder do you have? It would need to be a CHIRP sounder to use all the xducers discussed so far. Furthermore, the B275LHW is a dual channel CHIRP xducer & it needs to be connected to a sounder that supports dual channel CHIRP.
For your type of fishing you only need shallow water performance - deep water would be 1000+ feet

Furuno make some sounders that ID fish size & bottom composition (rock/mud/sand/gravel. These Furuno sounder require very specific xducers to support the above features.
ericl
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum