fuse/reset circuit breakers, & downriggers

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

fuse/reset circuit breakers, & downriggers

Postby Fishee » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:04 pm

I have couple of questions.

My GARMIM GPS antenna 19x HVS requires a 1 AMP fuse.
(It's currently connected through inline glass fuse)

I want to connect the GARMIM GPS antenna power through a on/off rocker switch, with reset button circuit breaker.

My issue here is I can't find a 1 AMP reset button circuit breaker. Would it work with a 3 AMP circuit breaker?

My 2 Scotty downriggers connects directly to battery through inline glass fuse holder 30 amps each.

Yes, I want to connect the 2 downriggers through the on/off rocker switch. Is that a good idea or bad idea?

I am trying to clean up my wire system, and wanting to keep all the fuses in one location.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. :D
Fishee
Pollywog

Re: fuse/reset circuit breakers, & downriggers

Postby Nelly » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Hey Fishee,
If your electronics call for a 1 amp fuse, I would stick to a one-amp fuse.
I would however, suggest you change from the glass to the plastic blade (AT/ATC) type fuses as they are less likely to corrode and fail.

Your concept of cleaning up your electrical system and possibly co-locating your fuses to a single, accessible location is excellent and will save you a pile of problems down the road.

To your "rocker switch" question, I don't have a clue of the amperage capacity of the switch your referring to but I do know this:
High electrical demand devices such as downriggers and pot pullers should be wired directly to the battery switch with only an inline fuse close to the switch.

To run your downriggers off of any other electrical source is to risk under-volting the motor which will definitely shorten its life. spy
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: fuse/reset circuit breakers, & downriggers

Postby onwhiskeycreek » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:50 pm

weld craft wiring.jpg
weld craft wiring.jpg (122.31 KiB) Viewed 8352 times
We ran into the same problem with our older than dirt Alumaweld Jet boat. Every time something is added it had it's own inline fuse. Last year did a rewiring project to get rid of the inline fuses hiding every where. Nelly is right on point. One thing to remember when doing this is you probably have 2 circuits if you are using an ACR to protect your electronics. So you will probable need two different fuse panels. The only problem I ran into was not using shielded wire and had interference on the VHF from the sonar. It's also a good opportunity to get rid of abandon wiring circuits.

Gary
onwhiskeycreek
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum