Deep Water Anchoring

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Deep Water Anchoring

Postby 4stroke » Thu May 05, 2016 10:42 am

Tom, my boat is very similar to yours. Same bow pulpit etc.. I have a 22lb Rocna on front with 26 ft of chain. Do you pull yours with a buoy and ring. I want to be able to anchor for halibut this year without buying a separate setup. The 3 main questions I have for you are what size buoy do you use (I have an A2), do you retrieve some line and tie off to a midship cleat before beginning to pull the anchor, and what if anything would you do if you need to free yourself of the anchor since its tied off in the anchor well. Or are you just stuck with pulling the fish to the boat. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Your blog on installing the anchor etc. was most helpful I used to do mine. Maybe I’ll see you out there. Going to try and hit the banks in the straights on Sat.
4stroke
Pollywog

Re: Deep Water Anchoring

Postby Nelly » Fri May 06, 2016 3:54 am

Good morning 'Stroke,
Yes I do indeed pull my anchor with a ring and A2 float.
However, I do not tie to the middle cleat. The only place you should ever secure an anchor line is to your bow. Never amidships or the stern.
To pull your anchor, you'll snap the buoy on the anchor rope and slowly start a turn to port so you can see your buoy on the starboard bow from the helm.
Once the buoy is on your starboard, accelerate slightly and start a STARBOARD turn.
Watch as the buoy clears the starboard side of the boat, keep the boat on that wide starboard arc or circle as the buoy slides down the rope. Keep pulling until the chain slides through the ring and captures the anchor.
I use a 500' line with 30' of chain and a 30 lb anchor. You will seldom if ever feel the need to drift out a halibut so just fight him on the anchor. Good luck cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Robbo » Sat May 07, 2016 12:13 pm

What size chain Nelly :?: :?:
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby 4stroke » Mon May 09, 2016 10:06 am

Thanks Nelly
4stroke
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue May 10, 2016 11:27 am

Robbo wrote:What size chain Nelly :?: :?:

Damn, Endsley!!!
When you're right you're right.
3/8" Proof Coil is the way to go.
That size chain and shackles fits 13-30 pound anchor tackle and slides through chain pipes & anchor roller mounts with ease. cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby onwhiskeycreek » Tue May 10, 2016 8:56 pm

On our anchor we attach a extra clevis to the back of the anchor and attach the chain to the back of the anchor. Then use seine twine to tie the anchor chain to the front clevis. Tie a half dozen knots or so to the front clevis and chain. Then if you happen to hang up your anchor you can pull hard on it and break the front attachment and pull the anchor from the back to retrieve it.

Gary
onwhiskeycreek
Pollywog

Postby 4stroke » Wed May 11, 2016 7:36 am

Good tip Gary. Thank You
4stroke
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum