Upgrade to a new Airmar transducer

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Upgrade to a new Airmar transducer

Postby CaseyMc » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:33 am

I am looking into upgrading to a new Airmar transducer. I have a Lowrance Gen2 HDS7 touch and am trying to decide on which model transducer to go with. It seems like a lot of people are using the TM260 which has a 6 degree beam angle at 200 Khz. The TM270W has a 25 Degree at 200 Khz has caught my eye. I think that the wider beam angle will be a advantage when using downriggers. What do the rest of you folks think?
CaseyMc
Pollywog

Re: Upgrade to a new Airmar transducer

Postby Nelly » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:15 am

Welcome aboard Casey!

No matter what brand of marine electronics you're currently running, http://www.airmartechnology.com/ makes the best transducer available for it.
Their website is a treasure trove of knowledge regarding this vital piece to the fish-finding puzzle.

I'm running an Airmar 260 right now and it's an amazing unit but if I has to do it again, the beam width of that 270 would likely get the nod.

There's really no wrong answer here as both units will serve you well but if you're a downrigger angler and you like to see your weights on the screen then the 270 is the better choice for you.

Don't overlook the venerable P66 and there are several CHIRP transducers available as well if your unit supports this cutting edge technology cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Rock » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:52 am

Quick question, does the 260 and 270 cover chirp capabilities?
Rock
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:49 am

Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to Boat Owners Forum