AutoPilot and Seastar Kicker Tie bar

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

AutoPilot and Seastar Kicker Tie bar

Postby Rock » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:20 am

Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Lowrance's autopilot that just came out this last year and the Seastar Kicker tie bar.

My hopes are to add the Lowrance autopilot on the boat as I think it will be very helpful with managing the direction of the boat while fishing with others as well as alone.

I would like to add the Seastar kicker tie bar because right now I have a tie bar (can't remember the brand) that you really have to get over the back of the boat. In fact you have to step on the kicker bracket to get it off and such. When my father goes out alone or someone who does not know how to do that he has to get out there. That makes me a little nervous, as I have seen how quick he moves and lets just say I would call him nimble.

From my understanding the Seastar tie bar will help fix that and I want to make sure that the lowrance autopilot will work with that tie bar.

Thanks for any help or advice you might have.

Connor
Rock
Pecker Trout

Re: AutoPilot and Seastar Kicker Tie bar

Postby 4stroke » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:46 am

I Love my Lowrance Autopilot. Have had no issues with it and can't imagine fishing etc. without it. Running a 225 Yamaha and 9.9 Yamaha kicker. Not sure about my tie bar brand its solid stainless steel and have not had any problems with it.
4stroke
Pollywog

Postby Rock » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks for letting me know Stroke! It is great to know that you have confidence in it. I have heard a lot of great things. Have any advice in installing it at all? Anything you encountered?

I have a 208 Grady White with a 225 and Yamaha T8 on it.
Rock
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:43 am

Hey Connor SonOfRock,

I think it's great that you're taking "the bull by the horns" with regard to the family boat and the autopilot rigging.

In my experience, main engine auto-pilots that drive trolling motors through a solid tiebar or the SeaStar kicker "Snake" are far, far superior to kicker-only auto-pilots.

There is absolutely no better way to steer your vessel than with the main engine drive acting as a rudder or when it is in gear, providing vectored thrust.

When your main and trolling motor turn in unison as they do when tied together, you have the best possible low speed/trolling control configuration possible cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Rock » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:24 am

I agree! I think it is a much better way. What type of tie bar are you using for your boat? Also with the wiring of the autopilot. I am planning on adding another downrigger (3rd) and also might be looking at changing up the radio I have. Do you have any resources to point me to try and get these things setup correctly? I don't know a lot about electronics but I know that I would like to learn more about that so I know how to fix something if it does break.

I have been looking all over the web but nothing has jumped out to me so far.

Connor
Rock
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Hey C,
I use a solid tie bar with the snap on ends. Pretty basic setup and it does not matter which tie bar you choose. They all work.

If you have a Lowrance G3 unit, all you need to get is the hydraulic pump, Autopilot computer and the RC 42 rate compass that senses your vessel's heading and you will have a complete, fully functioning main engine autopilot system!

I would encourage to you to get a new VHF and add it to your NEMA 2000 Network as it will provide AIS info on the chartplotter.

I would be happy to send you a complete system parts list.
Just say the word and l will send it via email to your Outdoor Line Forum membership account. rockon
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Rock » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:59 am

Nelly,

That would be great. Will I need to do anything different with the added third downrigger. Or if I add anything else? I already have two batteries on board.

Connor
Rock
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:33 pm

Good afternoon Rock,
I've just sent you a Lowrance System Builder parts list and quote.
Please keep in mind that I am not a dealer, I do not sell or install Lowrance gear and the quote is MSRP which you'll be able to easily beat. The most useful piece of info in the email you'll receive is the parts list / system diagram which allows you to envision the system configuration and how you can install it on your vessel.
To your third downrigger question, you're asking if you should "do anything different".
Perhaps you could indicate if you're referring to installation, wiring or fishing the third rigger?
Good luck rockon
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Rock » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:24 am

Ya I was referring to installation. I never got that email BTW. If you would work better I can pm you with my email address.
Rock
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:10 am

Good morning!
Just email me at tom@theoutdoorline.com and I'll hit you back with the system I layed out for you.

That goes for everyone else reading this thread as well! If you need a Simrad or Lowrance system starting place or layout, let me know and I'll get one out to you and we can talk systems in my boat at the Seattle Boat Show in late January/February.

The installation of the third or "Chute" downrigger? Pretty straightforward:
Assuming you run a main and a kicker, place the middle rigger facing straight back off the transom on the side opposite of your kicker. Fish a 10 pounder on it, 15's on the sides and you'll produce more fish!

Good luck! cheers
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum