Cannon Dig-a-Troll 10 sonar problem

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Cannon Dig-a-Troll 10 sonar problem

Postby Old Hooker » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:27 pm

Hello all, I have been fighting problems with my sonar display on my down riggers. After playing with them for two years now I thought I had it working when I took it to the San Juans,but recently fished the west side of the bar and the power worked,the down riggers went up and down ,cycled up and down but no depth was displayed and would not go to bottom track. I am using a cannon transducer/and jumper cord to the other down rigger fishing in 125' of water. Any help with this would be appreciated my buddy says to give up they won't work in the salt water and sandy bottom but I am determined they will. Are there any upgrades for the transducer out there? Thanks for any help,tight lines,full boxes to all,....old hooker out....
Old Hooker
Pollywog

Re: Cannon Dig-a-Troll 10 sonar problem

Postby Nelly » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:21 pm

Hey there O H,
The Cannon Bottom Tracking feature does indeed work in salt water and on sandy bottoms.
If you're not seeing the digital depth on the DT10's display, then for some reason the transducer is not connecting to the downrigger.
If there is no depth info coming into the Cannon DT10 then the downrigger will not go into bottom track mode.

I've had some issues with tempermental Transducer/Downrigger connectors and the 'rigger to rigger connectors as well. I keep some Corrosion Block on my boat and use it liberally on those connectors!
download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (5.43 KiB) Viewed 2988 times

In addition, the Transducer to Downrigger connection can be "positional" in that too much stress on the connection will cause it to become intermittent and glitchy. I use wire cable ties to remove the stress on these connections.

I'm not aware of an upgrade transducer for the Cannon DT10 but I will change the angle and position of the transducer until I achieve a consistent picture.

Cannon's Bottom Track feature is a wonderful asset but, like everything else on your boat, it requires some maintenance.

Here's a blog I put together awhile back with a couple tricks to help you out in your bottom-tracking efforts! Good luck! cheers

http://www.theoutdoorline.com/blog/2013/05/21/de-mystifying-cannon-downriggers-bottom-track-feature/
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum