MA13 Silvers on FIRE!!!

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

MA13 Silvers on FIRE!!!

Postby SlumRunner » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:00 am

I've been fishing MA13 over the past week. I've fished from Purdy up to Minter Creek, and yesterday around Fox Island and Wollochet Bay. The silvers are feisty and range from 12 inches with the bigger ones pushing 17 inches. I've been out in my 10 ft rubber raft with electric trolling engine. I troll about 50-75 feet off shore with a sink tip fly line and clouser minnows. Once I get a strike or see fish jump, I start casting to them and strip the fly back in as fast as I can. These fish explode out of the water and put up a good fight on a 4 wt fly rod. No area is best, just have to explore the shoreline. But when you find them, it's lights out. You can keep 2 hatchery silvers. They're not big fillets, but each fish provides enough for a dinner. Here's some pics!
IMG_2873.JPG
IMG_2873.JPG (80.75 KiB) Viewed 13692 times
IMG_2868.JPG
IMG_2868.JPG (157.74 KiB) Viewed 13692 times
IMG_2852.JPG
IMG_2852.JPG (80.03 KiB) Viewed 13692 times
IMG_2851.JPG
IMG_2851.JPG (84.16 KiB) Viewed 13692 times
IMG_2850.JPG
IMG_2850.JPG (106.05 KiB) Viewed 13692 times
SlumRunner
Pollywog

Re: MA13 Silvers on FIRE!!!

Postby Duckhunter » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:59 am

That looks like fun, how would you go after these guys from a boat without fly gear. Troll hot shots? What should i cast?
Duckhunter
Pollywog

Postby SlumRunner » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Duckhunter wrote:That looks like fun, how would you go after these guys from a boat without fly gear. Troll hot shots? What should i cast?

Hi Duckhunter! They're actually super aggressive fish and will bite a ton of different flies/gear. I know Robbo often talks about trolling hot shots and small spoons/spinners. I've had good luck with size 2 needlefish spoons trolled about 100 ft behind the boat with a couple split shot. I honestly think any gear would slay them - wedding rings, etc.

My recommendations would be to stay 50-100 ft from shore, and get your lure back 100 ft behind the boat. You will troll a mile of shoreline and get nothing, then you will notice some jumpers up ahead. When you see that, hold on!

They're not the biggest fish, but still put up a heck of fight on the right gear...and it's a fun fishery to bring the kids out on. In 2 hours of fishing I'll catch around 7-10, and loose a bunch.

If you're new to fly fishing and want to give it a go, I would highly recommend it. Even if you don't know how to cast, you can still catch them trolling flys. I would say go down to wallmart and buy the beginner set-up. BUT HERE'S THE TRICK - go down to your local fly shop (I normally go to the Gig Harbor one, but the one in Tacoma is good too). Drop in and tell them where you're planning on fishing, and what you're fishing for. They will select 5-10 flies for you try out. It will cost you $15-25 bucks, but the flies they pick out are money, and they know what is working in the area you are fishing.

It's a hoot - I would probably rather be fishing MA9 or MA6, but for those afternoons you want to sneak away for a couple hours, it doesn't get much better than having that type of action in your back yard. I'm sure Robbo might have some other suggestions for you!

Get out there and let us know how you do! Remember, you can keep two hatchery silvers, but please let the searun cutthroat go as stated in the regs - it's a world class fishery out there for them at times.

-Sam Rutledge (Aka The Slumrunner) rockon
SlumRunner
Pollywog

Postby Stonefish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Nice report.
You are correct, they aren't huge but they are excellent eating.
SF
Stonefish
Pollywog

Postby SlumRunner » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Stonefish wrote:Nice report.
You are correct, they aren't huge but they are excellent eating.
SF

Thanks SF,

I was amazed at how red they cut - super good eating fish!

Tom and Brad Hole need to get out there in their Yak's while the gettings good! I would die to see Tom in a Kayak - you better post some pictures when you head out Tom. :lol:
SlumRunner
Pollywog

Postby SlumRunner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:21 am

Cooked them up last night - some of the best tasting salmon I've had. Beats the stuff in the freezer by a long shot! I've almost convinced the wife that when I sneak away from a couple hours I'm going to the grocery store...but when I come back, it will be with some fresh coho salmon!
SlumRunner
Pollywog

Return to Fishing Reports