Area 9 Admiralty Inlet Re- Opener!

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Area 9 Admiralty Inlet Re- Opener!

Postby Nelly » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Ok, I confess that when I saw the forecast for the actual opener on February 16, I decided to wait a day. After what we experienced on the second day of the re-opener...
I wish I would have braved the winds.
What am I talking about? Read on brother...

We started where we finished the A9 season in November and for the first hour didn't mark much and only hooked a shaker then former Seattle Seahawk Center Robbie Tobeck hooked into a dandy!
IMG_1599 (Small)1.JPG
IMG_1599 (Small)1.JPG (96.17 KiB) Viewed 15802 times

It was a great fighting fish that took the Daiwa Saltist drag for a few good runs and just like that, Tobeck has a 13 pounder in the box!
IMG_1603 (Small)1 (1).JPG
IMG_1603 (Small)1 (1).JPG (102.19 KiB) Viewed 15802 times

Dragging Silver Horde Coho Killers in the dirt on the morning flood did the trick.
IMG_1617 (Small).JPG
IMG_1617 (Small).JPG (97.13 KiB) Viewed 15803 times

Our two-fish limit was in the box by 0930 and it was a beautiful spring-like morning on the sound
IMG_1603 (Small)1 (2).JPG
IMG_1603 (Small)1 (2).JPG (142.37 KiB) Viewed 15802 times

Oh and the Cantankerous Cougar Tobeck is totally sold on Pro-Cure Downrigger Dynamite!
IMG_1601 (Small).JPG
IMG_1601 (Small).JPG (100.73 KiB) Viewed 15803 times

The delay of the opener by one month should help us get to the April 15 deadline but don't wait. It's solid out there and should only get better with a series of strong ebb tides next week! spy
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Area 9 Admiralty Inlet Re- Opener!

Postby dnmalsom » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Dang Nelly, those are some nice fish!
Unfortunately, I guessed wrong on Friday and ran all the way to Townsend only to find a load of boats fishing the derby and no fish. Made several passes and never marked any bait or fish. Saw one small one netted and that was it. Thought for sure that tide would have produced at Mid Channel.
Looks like the Peninsula Derby was a good one. Oh well, at least I burnt out the winter gas. Some days you get em' some days ya' don't. See you on the salt.
Dan
dnmalsom
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:07 am

Yo DNM!
You didn't "guess wrong" at all!
Did you see a sailboat fishing MCB that morning?
Did you see a sailboat fishing & towing a skiff at MCB that morning?
Did you see a sailboat fishing, towing a skiff and dragging a bucket?

Well, if you did, you saw Tony Beam who won the $10K with the biggest fish of the OPSD and he's joining us for an interview this Saturday! cheers
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby dnmalsom » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:47 am

Yeh, the funny thing about that was when we pulled into Mid Channel (from Everett) for our first pass he was about half a mile ahead of us. We must have just been a bit late for that early bite. We had our gear in the water at 815am. He continued on around the corner at Point Hudson as we made several more passes working different depths. Would have been fun to watch him play and land that fish from the cockpit of his sailboat.

I must have ran right by you on my way to Townsend. We saw several boats tucked in where you were fishing. I have heard that area is still producing fish. However, that morning when I turned the corner at Possession the weather was so nice I kept on heading out. It was a beautiful day for winter blackmouth fishing...even if I did pull a skunk!
Dan
dnmalsom
Pollywog

Postby Gemeniii » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:20 pm

What could I expect on trade for a 26 foot Armstrong towards a Beneteau Oceanis 31?!?
Maybe I should look into a J-24 instead thumbup

Fish on the leeward side, starboard tack!!
Great work on the blackmouth Tony!
Look forward to hearing him on Saturday.
Tight Lines!
Gemeniii
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Don't do it G!!! Just DON'T rofl
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Fishing Reports