House Remodel

This forum is for all the things we do in our every day lives outside of fishing, hunting, and the outdoors.

House Remodel

Postby Robbo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:40 am

I had a little time this morning so I thought I'd post a few pics from the house project. Nicole and I bought a bank owned home in Gig Harbor that needs a lot of work and that work started even before we closed on the home. The douchebag that owned it prior to us removed the toilets and two of the bathroom vanities before the bank took it over. It's not their fault they can't make the payment...it's the banks fault for loaning them the money :twisted:

Our real estate agent was longtime family friend Morrie Pederson, who grew up with dad over in Port Torchered and has been in the bidness for a long, long time. We could'nt have pulled this deal down without his experience and help.

We had to replace these items before we could close on the loan and with time running short I called in one of the big guns, Jim "Bucket" Heins from Jennings and Heins General in Poulsbo to help with the vanity install. He made short work of the punch list.

Here's Jim sizing up the placement of the utility room vanity
bucket.jpg
bucket.jpg (60.09 KiB) Viewed 24988 times

And the guest bath with the vanity and toilet installed. Still lots of work to do here...
IMG_0412.jpg
IMG_0412.jpg (92.35 KiB) Viewed 24988 times

After a lot of back and forth between us and the bank we finally closed on the home and the second we got the keys I was in the house ripping out the carpet and getting to work removing the popcorn ceilings. The ceilings had been painted god only knows how many times...making this task a total beee-yotch. Trust me on this one, if your popcorn ceilings have been painted hire this job out.

It took about 4 long days of grinding away to get all the popcorn off and get the wallboard surface sanded into shape for mudding and finish sanding. For some reason I forgot why we hired all the drywall out on the house we built near Mt. Baker a few years back. Regardless, I mixed up some mud and went to work mudding and sanding, mudding and sanding, mudding and sanding :roll:
Not quite the Grundens and Extra Tuffs I'm used to wearing :)
drywall.jpg
drywall.jpg (47.47 KiB) Viewed 24988 times

The cleanup crew shows up after work to tidy up my mess...thanks honey
cleanup.jpg
cleanup.jpg (44.59 KiB) Viewed 24988 times

Once the ceilings were as smooth as I could get them I applied two coats of PVA primer and then called up drywall artist TK, who also happens to work for Willie Boats. Lots of construction guys in the fishing network and Tim is a jewel.

Tim quickly fixed all the funky spots in the ceiling and then went to work applying orange peel texture. He did in four short hours what would've taken me two days. Applying mud to the ceiling...and not having to sand it later...what a revelation :o
tk.jpg
tk.jpg (38.18 KiB) Viewed 24988 times

tk2.jpg
tk2.jpg (42.82 KiB) Viewed 24988 times

Just the beginning of this long and fun project. We'll be laying on the paint over the weekend and into early next week and then the new carpet will be installed late next week, barring any delays. I'll try to post some more photos as the house comes along. 8-) 8-)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: House Remodel

Postby Nelly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Boat remodels are more fun but this is really solid "Newlywed" stuff you're doing!
If it wasn't for guys like Jim,... Wow what a good friend!!!

I hope everything works out brother, I might have one more little remodel/honeydo on my slate but I can guarentee you I personally will have nothing to do with sheet rock!!!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Robbo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:03 pm

It's like doing autobody work on the entire fracking house. No more drywalling for me :!: :!: Bucket's the man :!:
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Robbo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Called in another friend from the fishing network, Jeff Jenkins, today for some help backrolling paint. We jumped into our mime customes and went to work. Jeff fishes salmon, tuna, halibut, and just about anything else in the salt. Jeff and his kick ass girlfriend Lisa pitched in for most of the day today...a huge help :!:
painting.jpg
painting.jpg (54.73 KiB) Viewed 24976 times
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bucket » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:05 am

Can't say I didn't worn ya about that drywall stuff! Keep up the good work man.
Bucket
Pecker Trout

Postby Sleddddder » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Those "racoon eyes" bring back memories of lots of house painting. Looking good.
Sleddddder
Pollywog

Postby Fivesrlimit » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Hey Sip and I build kitchen cabinets for beer, and fishing, and beer.
Fivesrlimit
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Short, short notice on the cabinets Fives...otherwise I would've activated the Wonder Twins for the job 8-)
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Oceangirl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:07 pm

You two cuties could do a beer commercial -heehee
Oceangirl
Pollywog

Postby Salmonhawk » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:27 pm

I didn't know you gave out beer at the end of the day!! What time do we start tomorrow?
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Next

Return to A Day in the Life