House Remodel

This forum is for all the things we do in our every day lives outside of fishing, hunting, and the outdoors.

Re: House Remodel

Postby Bear » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:10 pm

My shoulder started hurting just looking at the picture of you with the pole sander… brought back painful memories. Fifteen years ago Suzy and I decided to add a bedroom, bath and a utility room to the house I built in rural Thurston County ten years before that. We did it while living in it… that will test a relationship.

I went to the Dr to tell him my shoulder was killing me and he asked what I had been doing I said “sheetrock” he said “You idiot, that’s what teenage boys are for”. Now I stick to minor repairs although I have my eye on a couple of foreclosed homes in the sunny south that would be nicer than the 5th wheel for snow birding purposes.

I think what Tobeck is really asking is “What time do you start drinking beer?”
Bear
Pollywog

Postby Salmonhawk » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Bear knows me well.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Robbo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Dangit...I didn't see Tobecks offer to help. I would have payed to see him run the cordless drill all day and of course there would've been video :lol:

We're nearing the end of all the heavy duty inside projects now. I finished installing all the fixtures late last week and then Uncle Bucket called on Saturday to see if he could help with anything over the weekend. We're really fortunate to be surrounded by some solid people right now and Uncle B is one of those people. One of those "hand shake" folks that seem to be so rare these days.

The kitchen was a dark cave, with only two old lights throwing off the glow of a dimly lit mafioso Italian joint. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Can lights would definitely need to be installed to light up the kitchen space though...so I can better see my salmon eggs when I'm curing them in the kitchen sink :D :D :D

Bucket rolled in Sunday morning and within a few hours he had six new uber-schwanky can lights layed out and installed in the kitchen and he also installed a bonus light in the pantry for Nicole.
can_lights.jpg
can_lights.jpg (59.01 KiB) Viewed 21479 times

Bucket said "Let there be light"...and there was light :D
can_lights2.jpg
can_lights2.jpg (72.73 KiB) Viewed 21479 times

Nicole's turn to run around with this toxic concoction that removes paint over spray. This stuff is NASTY :!: Time for me to work outside...ah fresh air...my first glimpse of the outside of the house since we started this project a month ago.
goof_off.jpg
goof_off.jpg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 21479 times

I blasted off the walkways and the driveway before the carpet guys come tomorrow to begin installing new carpet throughout the casa. See the roof...yeah...that's another project :)
pressure_washing.jpg
pressure_washing.jpg (125.56 KiB) Viewed 21479 times

At exactly 7:25 p.m. tonight we applied the very last stroke of paint inside the house. Tobeck was on the phone with me to commemorate the event. That's the end of that project...only 307 more projects to go now :shock:
nic_painting.jpg
nic_painting.jpg (54.42 KiB) Viewed 21479 times

A little final clean up with the shop vac in the kitchen and we were home before 8:00 p.m. tonight. After a 14 hour day yesterday it was nice to get home a lil early.
vac.jpg
vac.jpg (65 KiB) Viewed 21479 times

It's hard to believe how far downhill a house can go when it's been neglected for four or five years. Little by little this old house is starting to shine again and once we get the yard fancified it will really start to look good. Another big thanks to Uncle Bucket...if you have any building projects the man knows this business inside and out.
Looks like we'll be in full move mode by Thursday or Friday. Looking forward to moving into our new place and more importantly...into a larger garage space :D
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Fivesrlimit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Wow the house look fantastic Robbo! Looks like you did a lot of great work to it. That picture of Buckets arm in the ceiling is awesome. Must have been a long day cause I couldn't figure it out for a while. Time for bed I guess. Party at the Endsley's?
Fivesrlimit
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Hopin to BBQ at some point before we head back to the Great White North. Lots of old folks in the neighborhood...pretty sure we won't have Hot Wally playing at our house anytime soon :D
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bucket » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:53 am

Easy ta toss in and help when your on the phone with Robbo and he say's "I can do it, I watched a you-tube video, I know all about it", enough ta scare a guy. Rob and Nichole have been workin hard the reward is right around the corner!
Bucket
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Yeah Bear...sanding the ceilings is brutal work especially when there's a thin layer of gunk left over from the popcorn. I had to sand every square inch of the ceilings to get this leftover residue off the lid so I could mud it. Never, never again :evil:

LOL about the You Tube videos. I watched every video they had on removing popcorn before I jumped into this torturous project.

The finest moment occurred just after Bucket was done with the can lights and I had to patch the area where the old light was. I pulled out one of those fancy schmancy stick-on wall patches that's already textured and said "Check this out...pretty slick huh :?: " Bucket just looked at me funny and went "Hmmmm :!: "

He was right. I had to remud that darn sticker over today and then texture the ceiling where the wonder sticker was :D
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bucket » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:47 am

Hmmmm
Bucket
Pecker Trout

Postby NW Fishing Guides » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:55 am

Robbo, the place looks SWEET. The problem with owning homes is there never done, theres always some to fix.
NW Fishing Guides, Now Booking Columbia River Springers - Jim & Jennifer Stahl
http://nwfishingguides.net
NW Fishing Guides
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks...it's finally starting to become a house again. I hear you about the work. Many more projects on this place :!:

Brent Dreyer installed the carpet today and did a bang up job. I was shocked at how hard this guy and his helper Ivan worked. They got there early this morning and were working their butts off within 30 seconds. 20 minute lunch break and they were back at it. Very impressed with these guys and their work ethic!

Brent is also a cancer survivor. A year ago he wasn't sure if he'd be around to see his family and enjoy their cabin in Packwood. Now he's got a clean slate and a new lease on life. Pretty darn cool! Brent will get 100% of any carpet installation we have from now on.
carpet.jpg
carpet.jpg (64.81 KiB) Viewed 21455 times

carpet2.jpg
carpet2.jpg (56.69 KiB) Viewed 21455 times

carpet3.jpg
carpet3.jpg (62.84 KiB) Viewed 21455 times

While they were cruising with the carpet I installed new vinyl in the master bath, utility room, and at the back door by the slider. Saved enough money doing myself to pay for half of our fixtures. My first vinyl install and by the time I do it again I'll probably forget everything I learned. It's all good :D
vinyl.jpg
vinyl.jpg (59.8 KiB) Viewed 21455 times

The moving starts tomorrow...yikes 8-)
Robbo
Grand Poobah

PreviousNext

Return to A Day in the Life